Dutch Street Urchins!

Posted by jdg | 8:17 AM | ,


Augustus Sherman, Photographer. Identified in Peter Mesenholler's Ellis Island Portraits 1905-1920. (c1905) "Dutch siblings from the Island of Marken, holding religious tracts." My great-grandparents would have immigrated during that time period. Let's just say I really hope this is how my grandparents looked when they got off the boat. Source: NYPL flickr stream.

Also, I want a jacket like the one little Mr. Tough guy is wearing for myself.  I'll skip the proto-crocs.


Nearly all of these urchins were discovered in the photography archives of the Library of Congress (and available without copyright restrictions online). Otherwise, urchin photos will be credited to the appropriate photographer with a link to its source (unless they come from my own collection of photographs from unknown photographers). If there is ever a copyright concern, do not hesitate to contact me.