I was looking for inspiration to fit our dog wagon out with a Conestoga-type canvas top when I came across this photo of late president Gerald R. Ford (far left), his half-brother Tom, and a few friends messing around with a dog cart (being pulled by a dog not that much bigger than ours) over in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The friends won first prize in the Boys Day Parade that day, and now I can tell my daughter she might have done some crazy stuff when she was young and foolish, but she can still grow up to be President of the United States (that is, if her predecessor resigns in shame. . .). [photo courtesy of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library and Museum]


Nearly all of these urchins were discovered in the photography archives of the Library of Congress (and available without copyright restrictions online). Otherwise, urchin photos will be credited to the appropriate photographer with a link to its source (unless they come from my own collection of photographs from unknown photographers). If there is ever a copyright concern, do not hesitate to contact me.