I think I just need to face the fact that every one of these urchins is more awesome than I will ever be. I sure wish Amelia Earhart hats would return to fashion among the youth of today. Pay particular attention to the newsboys right behind the bike. And the guys up by the columns. My grandpa was a newsboy during that era, and I sure wish I had a picture of him and his buddies.

The Cleveland Call & Post has been serving Cleveland's black community since 1927. Today it is owned by Don King.

Photo from the Allen Cole Collection at the Western Reserve Historical Society.

Photo 

Nearly all of these urchins were discovered in the photography archives of the Library of Congress (and available without copyright restrictions online). Otherwise, urchin photos will be credited to the appropriate photographer with a link to its source (unless they come from my own collection of photographs from unknown photographers). If there is ever a copyright concern, do not hesitate to contact me.